49 Reasons Why This Generation Is Never Really Dating Anymore
People used to date — or so I hear.
Maybe that's complete nonsense. Maybe we were always these confused individuals creating hollow lives for ourselves.
Or maybe we had a better understanding of what dating and finding a partner in life actually allows for.
Whether or not the times have changed doesn't really matter. What matters is that most individuals nowadays don't date. Well, they sort of date, but not really.
I'm sorry, but today's dating culture should not be allowed to fall under the dating category. Calling it “dating” is rather insulting to the once coveted — and now seemingly archaic — practice.
You may not realize how awful our dating culture has become, but that's only because you're a part of it — and your vantage point doesn't allow for a wholesome view.
Yet, I think if you look at and inspect your behavior, you'll notice all the indicators.
Our modern day dating culture is somewhat appalling. I know what you're thinking: “It's my life; let me live it how I like.” Go for it. Do you.
But realize that you're going to wish you had taken the time to better understand the implications of your actions and down what path they were leading you.
Dating is a huge part of our lives. Or at least it ought to be. It's meant to have a purpose and, in reality, it always does. We just date for the wrong purpose. We're never really dating anymore.
1. We can't make up our minds as to what we want — we both want and don't want a relationship.
2. We believe it to be too difficult — and we're right. But anything worthwhile is difficult.
3. We're too picky.
4. We don't realize we're usually the problem.
5. If we do date, it's only for kicks. Dating for the sake of dating isn't really dating.
6. FOMO — what if there's someone better?
7. Most of us have absolutely no idea how to love. But we think we do.
8. We're under the illusion that perfection is attainable, so as soon as the going gets tough, we get going. Well, more like running.
9. The next best thing is only a swipe away. You can blame technology, but in reality, we're just idiots.
10. We're afraid of committing.
11. We manage to sabotage our relationships because we're afraid of the breakup — funny, I know.
12. Our idea of a date is pizza, Netflix and sex. Usually in that order.
13. We refuse to “settle,” but we'll sleep with just about anyone. If only it weren't so easy…
14. We invented “friends with benefits.” But are you actually friends with any of your sources of benefits?
15. So many of us are so incredibly focused on our personal goals that we forget the most important personal goal of them all: finding someone to share our lives with.
16. Many of us love ourselves more than we ought to. Let's be real for a second: Most of us are pretty sh*tty individuals.
17. It's not always our fault. Sometimes life is just too difficult, and letting someone else become a true part of it feels too cruel.
18. Some of us just hate ourselves and don't believe ourselves to be worthy. Sad, but true.
19. We just don't know how to date; we're out of practice. Technically, we never had any practice.
20. We have too many options. The world is getting smaller and smaller, and we're not capable of navigating through the hordes.
21. We have trouble understanding ourselves.
22. We feel the need to “find ourselves…” which, for whatever reason, means we can't put a true effort toward dating.
23. Some of us honestly aren't interested in dating, but do so anyway because we feel we're supposed to.
24. We're broke, and dating is expensive.
25. We can barely keep up with our own problems — no way we can deal with someone else's.
26. We don't want to be selfless.
27. We feel like we can live without it — until, of course, we can't.
28. We love novelty, so we switch partners like we switch underwear.
29. We believe love to be some sort of fairytale, so we wait for Prince Charming or Snow White.
30. We often find dating boring, but only if it's with the same person.
31. We're confused into believing sex with strangers is better than sex with someone we love.
32. We search for a happily-ever-after, but are afraid of actually finding it.
33. Dating leads to marriage, and marriage leads to kids. Which do we fear most? All of the above.
34. Because porn is free now.
35. Because, for women with sex toys, batteries last longer than men.
36. Bros before hoes, and chicks before dicks. We love rhymes.
37. Because “f*ck it.”
38. We both like our independence and hate being lonely, but since we waver between the two like a pendulum, we never manage to make dating work.
39. We're too busy focusing on all the things in life that don't matter whatsoever.
40. We just don't get life.
41. We just don't understand what a relationship can truly be — but we can't really be blamed for that; blame society.
42. Because Barack Obama. We blame him for just about every problem we have. Why stop now?
43. Everyone uses everyone else, so no one ever really trusts anyone.
44. We think our lives suck and would rather dwell in that odd comfort self-pity allows for than actually change our lives for the better.
45. Again, because “f*ck it.”
46. We're afraid he or she is going to cheat on us, so we never put our best foot forward.
47. Which is funny because half the time, this leads us to cheating ourselves.
48. We don't believe it'll work, and by doing so, we guarantee it won't.
49. We date for food, drinks and sex, not for love and companionship.
Subscribe to Elite Daily's official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don't want to miss.