Perhaps one of the greatest influences on the Elite Daily team is a man who is undeniably the most electrifying icon in sports entertainment. He knew just how to capture the crowd in the ring and on the big screen, showing us how to laugh and cry during some of the most memorable movies of the past decade. He is the definition of an icon and a damn national treasure. He is The Rock.
It would be an arduous task to find an individual who is not a fan of The Rock. Due to his unparalleled charisma and overall awesomeness he appeals to men and women. However, there is more to him than simply “Rock Bottoming” fools and being one of the biggest badasses of all time.
Here are the things you did not know about The Rock.
10. The Rock, born Dwayne Douglas Johnson, was born on May 2, 1972 in Hayward, California. He is half Black Nova Scotian and half Samoan.
9. The Rock was a college football player and, in 1991, he was part of the University of Miami's national championship team. He played alongside players such as Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and Rohan Marley (Bob Marley's son).
8. The Rock graduated in 1995 with a degree in criminology. He played for a short time on the Calgary Stampeders. After he was cut from that Canadian Football League team, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson became a professional wrestler until he retired in 2004.
7. The Rock met Dany Garcia while they were attending the University of Miami. They married in 1997, had daughter Simone Alexandra in 2001, and divorced in 2008. Johnson and Garcia will share custody of their daughter. He's scheduled to pay $22,000. a month in child support. He also pays $5,000 a month for Simone's education.
6. The Rock has stared in over 20 films, including The Scorpion King and Be Cool. His films have grossed over $3.2 billon.
5. Even though his movies "The Rundown" earned him a cool $12,500,000., and in "Walking Tall", his pay was $15,000,000, the $5.5 million he got for The Scorpion King was a record. According to the Slam Sports website, "WWF star The Rock (earned) the highest salary ever paid to an actor in a debut starring role."
4. Although Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson stills owns the rights to his wrestling name, he prefers not to use it. He told Entertainment Magazine (October 2006): "I no longer am a wrestler, I am now pursuing a future as an actor and someday as a director. I am not the Rock. I am Dwayne Johnson".
3. The Rock is a good friend of actor and former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
2. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson also became an author with his 2000 book, The Rock Says (HarperEntertainment). It hit #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List.
1. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has a wax figure likeness at the famed Madame Tussaud's museum.