The day of Beyoncé continues. Let’s be honest, there are going to be lifetimes spent with her new album, and discovering the secrets that it holds. Despite what you think you know about Beyoncé, you have no idea.
Let’s take a look at the 20 things you don’t know about Queen Bey:
1) She tried to get Jay Z in better shape, to mixed results.
2) Her father used to make her run a mile while singing to build her endurance.
3) Beyoncé fired her father as her manager, and here’s why in her own words:
“It took a while for me and my dad to have an understanding. When I turned 18 and started handling my business more, he went into shock. And we had our issues. I’d say ‘no’ to something, and he’d book it anyway. Then I’d have to do it because I’d look bad [if I didn't].
“We would fight sometimes, and it took about two years, to when I was 20, for him to realize, ‘Oh, she is an adult now, and if she doesn’t wanna do something, I can’t make her do it.’”
4) The number four has a very special significance to Bey. She, her mother, and husband Jay Z were all born on the fourth of their respective birth months. IV from Blue Ivy’s name is the Roman numeral for four. And she was also married on the fourth, and she named her fourth record simply, 4.
5) She lost 20 pounds in 14 days, consuming a potion made of only lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water, all for a role in Dreamgirls.
6) She’s a feminist:
“You know, equality is a myth, and for some reason, everyone accepts the fact that women don’t make as much money as men do. I don’t understand that. Why do we have to take a backseat? I truly believe that women should be financially independent from their men. And let’s face it, money gives men the power to run the show. It gives men the power to define value. They define what’s sexy. And men define what’s feminine. It’s ridiculous.”
7) Beyoncé’s ex-boyfriend, Lyndall Locke, cheated on her multiple times
8) Bootylicious is now a word recognized by the “Oxford English Dictionary.”
9) Beyoncé and Jay Z talked on the phone for a year before going on their first date.
10) Beyoncé watches footage like a pro athlete:
“One of the reasons I connect to the Super Bowl is that I approach my shows like an athlete. You know how they sit down and watch whoever they’re going to play and study themselves? That’s how I treat this. I watch my performances, and I wish I could just enjoy them, but I see the light that was late. I see, ‘Oh God, that hair did not work.’ Or ‘I should never do that again.’ I try to perfect myself. I want to grow, and I’m always eager for new information.”
11) Her mother aired out her childhood imaginary friendships:
“At lunchtime, I’d go to her school and she’d be pushing an empty swing, acting like there was somebody on it.”
12) According to Solange Knowles, Bey was very protective over her growing up.
“I can’t tell you how many times in junior high school, how many boys and girls can say Beyoncé came and threatened to put some hands on them if they bothered me.”
13) She records and archives every single interview she does, so she can never be misquoted.
14) She recognizes her power, but can’t fully comprehend it:
“I now know that, yes, I am powerful. I’m more powerful than my mind can even digest and understand.”
15) She once walked out on a shoot with famous photographer David LaChapelle after he told her to strip and cover her body in honey.
16) Beyoncé likes to wear high heels and dominate in the bedroom
17) Before getting married, Bey and Jay briefly broke up. Jay rapped about it on “Lost Ones.”
18) Before her personal trainer banned her from eating it, Beyoncé used to be addicted to authentic chicken curry, and had it flown in from England when she got a craving.
19) Her former bodyguard, “Shortie,” weighed 600 pounds, and once caused an elevator he and B were on to stop between floors. He was subsequently fired.
20) As a child, Beyoncé would charge houseguests $5 a head to watch her perform.
Top Image Credit: Getty Images