Charity and fundraising database The Chronicle of Philanthropy has compiled a list of the 10 biggest publicly announced donations of 2013.
The largest gift was given by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan, who donated 18 million shares of Facebook stock worth over $990 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Yet despite the huge sums, Philanthropy reports, America‘s Elite did not donate as much as they did before the recession.
In 2007, the biggest individual gifts amounted to $4.1 billion, compared to $100 million in 2013.
The list consists of 15 gifts due to six people tying for Number 10 with donations of $100 million.
1. Mark Zuckerberg: $992.2 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation
2. Phil Knight: $500 million pledge to the Oregon Health and Science University Foundation
3. Michael Bloomberg: $350 million pledge to Johns Hopkins University
4. Charles Johnson: $250 million pledge to Yale University
5. Stephen Ross: $200 million pledge to University of Michigan
6. Muriel Block: $160 million bequest to Yeshiva University
7. John Arrillaga: $151 million pledge to Stanford University
8. Irwin Jacobs: $133 million pledge to Cornell NYC Tech
9. Charles Munger: $110 million pledge to University of Michigan
10. David Koch: $100 million pledge to New York-Presbyterian Hospital
10. Frank McCourt: $100 million pledge to Georgetown University
10. Ronald Perelman: $100 million pledge to Columbia Business School
10. T. Denny Sanford: $100 million pledge to University of California at San Diego
10. Stephen Schwarzman: $100 million pledge to Tsinghua University in Beijing
10. Deborah Joy Simon: $100 million pledge to Mercersburg Academy
Via: Philanthropy, Top Photo Credit: Getty Images