13 Times The 2016 Presidential Election Got Really Weird
There is no political event on the planet quite like the US presidential election. It truly is an absurd spectacle.
Yes, it's very important, but no other country spends as much time or energy deciding how to elect its next leader.
The US presidential election is like a non-stop, two-year reality TV show.
During that time, candidates spend astronomical amounts of money on their campaigns while saying and doing whatever they can to win over voters.
It's one of the greatest sources of entertainment on earth!
If you're a cynic, you might view it all as one big distraction from more pressing matters. While that's probably true in many ways, there's so much focus on the election because it ultimately has a huge impact on the country and the wider world.
And if you're enjoying all of it, there's still roughly nine months until election day… so, plenty to look forward to.
Every presidential election has memorable moments — sometimes inspiring, sometimes offensive and sometimes just plain odd.
It's fair to say the 2016 election has been one of the strangest in recent memory, so we compiled a list of some of the weirdest highlights up to this point.
Whether you're feeling positive or negative about this election, there's no way to deny how funny some of these are.
1. When Deez Nuts emerged as a candidate.
Deez Nuts is lowkey the best candidate: pic.twitter.com/9twqngx0Ok
— Elly (@Zayence) November 1, 2015
2. When Ted Cruz ate bacon off a machine gun.
3. When Sarah Palin endorsed Trump and vomited gibberish.
I've watched this like 20 times and I still don't know what Palin is saying, but I love it. https://t.co/9Mef2YG8uH
— Shane Bauer (@shane_bauer) January 20, 2016
4. When “Sticker Kid” stole the show while Hillary Clinton spoke in Iowa.
— Jess (@jessbowman25) February 2, 2016
5. When Rubio supporters attacked a guy dressed like a robot. (Let's be real, Rubio is a robot.)
— Mashable (@mashable) February 9, 2016
6. When Vermin Supreme finished fourth in the NH Democratic primaries.
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 10, 2016
7. When Ben Carson defended his belief the pyramids were used for grain storage.
Ben Carson: “The Middle East has been in turmoil for thousands of years”. Even before pyramids were used to store grain?
— Edward Luce (@EdwardGLuce) December 16, 2015
8. Also, when Ben Carson awkwardly botched his entrance at the GOP debate.
— Frank Thorp V (@frankthorpNBC) February 7, 2016
9. Yeah… Ben Carson is just weird in general.
This is a real painting of Ben Carson and Jesus that hangs in his house… pic.twitter.com/dibs0ByzCd
— Campbell Johnston (@campyj1) November 11, 2015
10. When Jeb Bush politely pleaded with people to clap for him. (OK, that was just sad. Hang in there, Jeb!)
“Please clap.”—Jeb Bush to a quiet audience at a campaign stophttps://t.co/0plkAuW7Uz
— NowThis (@nowthisnews) February 3, 2016
11. Also, when Jeb Bush revealed he doesn't know how to put on a zip-up hoodie.
Re-upping this Jeb Bush hoodie Vine because it will never get old: https://t.co/mXGuuTeL1Z
— Pamela Engel (@PamEngel12) February 2, 2016
12. When a bald eagle, the symbol of America, attacked Donald Trump (eagles can smell evil).
— TIME.com (@TIME) January 29, 2016
13. When the USA Freedom Kids sang at a Trump rally and terrified everyone (symbolic of Trump's campaign — awkward yet terrifying).
Subscribe to Elite Daily's official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don't want to miss.