Boyfriend Tries To Be Romantic With Candles, Ends Up Burning His House Down
When a boyfriend tried to romantically welcome his girlfriend home from a trip visiting family in Latvia, his plan backfired.
He scattered flowers, chilled champaign and an array of candles on the bedroom floor — which lit the whole house on fire.
Amanj Issen spelled out his girlfriend’s name in tea lights and waited excitedly by the front door for her to arrive home.
Issen’s girlfriend, Jana Stankeviciute, called him when she was a few minutes away and asked if he could help her with her bags.
Suddenly, Issen heard a loud bang and ran upstairs to find his bedroom filled with flames and smoke.
The bedroom received the most damage, but the rest of the house suffered too, and now the couple must look for a new place to live.
Stankeviciute, 24, was still moved by the gesture, even though she couldn’t see it firsthand:
The first thing she said to me [after the fire] was ‘I’m just glad you are OK.’ Then I showed her the picture of the candles and she said ‘wow.’ She really loved it.
Issen, a 29-year-old builder, was shocked that such small candles could lead to such a large catastrophe.
Fireman Paul Nash, however, says tea lights can reach “extremely high temperatures” and can “quickly melt into the material and … cause a fire” if placed directly onto a combustible or plastic surface.
Issen says he wants to repeat the romantic gesture, but perhaps with just chocolates and flowers this time.
H/T: Daily Mail, Photos Courtesy: Jim Bennett