Brain-Eating Amoeba With A 99% Fatality Rate Could Come From Your Own Faucet
A killer could be lurking in your home, and it may very well be in a place you’d least expect it. Two people in Louisiana died last year from a single-celled organism that resided in their kitchen sinks.
The amoeba, known as Naegleria fowleri, can cause Primary Amoebic Meningoecephalitis (PAM), which is fatal in 99 percent of cases.
The victims, a 51-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man, both used tap water in neti pots to flush out their sinuses and died days later.
Neti pots are generally safe to use to clear out nasal cavities, but when amoebas are present, the fatality rate is scary.
The amoeba eats the brain through the nasal cavity, and is common in freshwater lakes and rivers.
Always make sure to wear nasal plugs when swimming in non-chlorinated freshwater to avoid this nightmarish situation.