George Zimmerman Is Sued Over Failing To Pay His Bodyguard $27,000
George Zimmerman is being sued by a security company, according to Zimmerman’s wife and attorney, after he allegedly owes the company over $27,000 for their protection services.
Associated Investigative Services filed the lawsuit against George Zimmerman in Orange County Circuit Court on Friday.
Zimmerman, who is awaiting trial on second-degree murder charges in relation to the shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, required the services of the security company after the shooting caused national outcry and he received death threats.
The civil complaint, which is also against Zimmerman’s wife and attorney Mark O’Mara, claims O’Mara hired the company in June to provide security for the Zimmerman family.
Things went sour when an independent trustee took over George Zimmerman’s defense fund, and previously promised payments to the company were not honored.
The lawsuit alleges breach of contract, among other claims, and requests a monetary judgment of $27,027.08.
O’Mara was surprised the suit had been filed, saying that “We’ve paid them over $40,000.”
O’Mara said they broke ties with the company because they were being billed $7,000 per week, whereas they are now paying $700 per week.
The AIS complaint acknowledges the $40,000 paid and also says the company warned O’Mara the amount of security he requested was “excessive.”
In the Trayvon Martin case, Zimmerman is claiming self-defense. Zimmerman is free on $1 million bail, and is currently in hiding.
James Gilbert | Elite.