74-year-old Dirk Schroeder had a routine surgery for prostate cancer performed on him back in 2009.
However, after suffering from “appalling agony” for several months the patient found himself back in the hospital and undergoing 2 more surgeries in order to remove all the stuff that the surgeons somehow allegedly left inside the patient.
Schroeder recently passed away and now his family is looking for $127,000 in damages.
The items left inside the patient include a six-inch roll of bandage, several swabs, a six-inch long compress, parts of a surgical mask, and a needle.
The unnamed hospital is claiming that the man ingested the items post-surgery; how that is possible is unclear. Anette Corinth, the family’s lawyer and medical expert said:
“Such an extent of foreign objects left inside a patient is unique in medical literature. There has been gross negligence here which most probably had led to complications and possibly a quicker death.”
Paul Hudson | Elite.