More and more people are receiving medical marijuana cards, and therefore, more and more people are sharing the benefits with their canine buddies.
Veterinarians say that the number of dogs getting stoned thanks to their owners has increased substantially across the U.S.
Several pets have died after mistakenly eating food laced with marijuana.
Vets are now seeing cases of dogs ingesting marijuana multiple times a week, as opposed to the few times a year that used to be the norm.
“They basically have lost a lot of their fine motor control, they have a wide-based stance and they are not sure on their feet,” said Dr. Debbie Van Pelt, a vet from Englewood, Colorado.
Most dogs survive being stoned, but when eating potent THC-laced treats such as cookies or brownies, the dogs have a much higher fatality rate.
These numbers can be attributed to the chocolate more than anything, however, as dogs in marijuana smoke-filled rooms do not suffer from anything other than the typical symptoms of marijuana use: happiness, hunger, and sleepiness.
Stephen Willard | Elite.