An industry report released by Drinks International and Euromonitor called ‘The Millionaire’s Club’ has come out with the top branded spirits and liquors in the world.
Most of the bestselling whisky brands were Indian whiskies, which are distilled from fermented molasses as opposed to malt, corn, barley or rye.
Here are the top 10 bestselling whisky brands by volume sales of 9-liter cases according to figures from 2011:
1. Johnnie Walker, Diageo, Category: Scotch (18 million)
2. Officer’s Choice, Allied Blenders & Distillers, Category: Indian (16.5 million)
3. McDowell’s No.1, United Spirits, Category: Indian (16.1 million)
4. Bagpiper, United Spirits, Category: Indian (16 million)
5. Royal Stag, Pernod Ricard, Category: Indian (12.5 million)
6. Old Tavern, United Spirits, Category: Indian (11.1 million)
7. Original Choice, John Distilleries, Category: Indian (10.8 million)
8. Jack Daniel’s, Brown-Forman, Category: US-Tennessee (10.6 million)
9. Imperial Blue, Pernod Ricard, Category: Indian (7.2 million)
10. Ballantine’s, Pernod Ricard, Category: Scotch (6.5 million)