10 Motivating Mantras To Get Your Butt Off The Couch And Onto The Yoga Mat
Everyone gets into a weird funk sometimes.
You're sailing through your days, and everything seems to come to you with a natural ease, but then bam — life throws you some sort of curveball.
Personally, when I'm looking for ways to motivate myself on my laziest days, yoga is my rock.
The practice helps in keeping me grounded while I find the ultimate love and TLC my mind and body deserve.
But, as much as I adore my practice, I've certainly had days where I struggle to move my ass from the couch to my yoga mat.
On those days, I turn to these 12 mantras to inspire my flow and center my mind.
I hope they'll do the same for you.
1. “Courage plus letting go plus self-love equals a growing freedom.”
Diego Perez — or as he's known on social media, Yung Pueblo — provides you with the perfect concoction for courage and strength.
Because sometimes, that's all you need to conquer self-doubt.
2. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
Jalaluddin Rumi is one of my all-time favorite poets. He always knows exactly which heartstrings to tug at.
If you're ever feeling a little lost or unsure, he reminds you that you literally have the whole world inside of you, waiting to be explored.
3. “You are the sky. Everything else — it's just the weather.”
When life hits you with some turbulence, Pema Chödrön, an ordained nun and American Tibetan Buddhist, says that, just like a thunderstorm, these hardships will pass with time — as all difficulties eventually do.
Thank you, Pema, for reminding us of that.
4. “You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret to your success is found in your daily routine.”
Author and pastor John C. Maxwell has this goodie for you whenever you really just can't stop clicking “next episode” on Netflix.
Hint: When Netflix asks if you're still watching, take that as your cue to roll out your mat and break up with your laptop screen.
When all else fails, have this quote handy on a post-it above your desk.
5. “There is nothing more beautiful than when you prove to yourself just how strong you are.”
As Instagrammer Danielle Dolby puts it, you are about 10 times stronger than you'll ever give yourself credit for.
Always, always remember that.
6. “Sometimes life will test you, but remember this: When you walk up a mountain, your legs get stronger.”
Nothing can be achieved without practice, and no one drives that point home better than B. Scott.
If you find yourself uninspired to get on your mat, get yourself to give it a try anyway.
The feelings that may come up during your practice could pleasantly surprise you, and you'll never regret making time for you.
7. “Perhaps…we should love ourselves so fiercely that when others see us, they know exactly how it should be done.”
Love yourself with every ounce of compassion you've got.
You deserve it, baby. Rudy Francisco says so.
8. “You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.”
I love using this quote by actress Sierra Boggess to inspire my intention before I begin my yoga flow.
Your body does so much for you each and every day.
Don't forget to thank it for all its hard work.
9. “If you get tired, learn to rest. Not to quit.”
Banksy, who is both a talented artist and strong activist, has some prime motivation ready for you on even your most challenging days.
Sometimes, you need to just roll out your mat and rest in child's pose, and spend maybe even an hour focusing on your breath, and only your breath.
And, other times, you need an intense, sweaty flow.
Listen to your body, and it will repay you with all the good feels.
10. “Where you are is not who you are — circumstances.”
Listen to writer Nayyirah Waheed's words, and remember you are not defined by the things that happen to you.
Observe the circumstances in your life without judgement.
Quiet your mind, and find peace and stillness on your mat.
Subscribe to Elite Daily's official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don't want to miss.