5 Life Truths Every Gen-Y Girl Can Learn From Lana Del Rey
Many contemporary musical artists have songs and lyrics we can relate to, but not all of them are people worthy of looking up to. But now, Generation-Y has an honest and genuine person to idolize in Lana Del Rey.
She seems to be able to relate to and motivate every young 20-something with her powerful lyrics and care-free disposition. She is an authentic singer/songwriter who exercises her individual and artistic talent in a modern, yet retro way, and we can all learn from her.
Here are five quotes from Lana that explain why she is the voice of our generation:
1. “I used to wonder if it was God’s plan that I should be alone for so much of my life. But I found peace. I found happiness within people and the world.”
Lana is obviously comfortable in her own skin. Psychologist Abraham Maslow presented a model where he claimed that only five percent of the population can truly reach a state of self-actualization. These people live to their fullest potential and are comfortable with themselves. Looks like Lana could be included in this group.
2. “I’m a writer first and a singer second.”
For a young artist, this is hard to find. It's nice to see that she places more value on the artistic value of her writing than on how much publicity she can get from the media. We can all learn that when it comes to work, it’s quality over quantity.
3. “A lot of the time when I write about the person that I love, I feel like I’m writing about New York.”
Aren't we all. NYC is the heartbeat of America. This quote speaks to the majority of young adults trying to find their purpose in the city. It’s a series of ups and downs similar to any romantic relationship.
4. “I have a personal ambition to live my life honestly and honor the true love that I’ve had, and also the people I’ve had around me.”
Love everyone and appreciate what they have to offer. Even if they are no longer in your life, cherish what you learned from them.
5. “I knew I wanted to do something creative. I didn’t think I’d have the luxury of doing something like that, because I didn’t know anyone who had pursued anything they really adored, but I had dreams for singing or writing.”
Follow your dreams. Do not allow yourself to believe that it’s not possible to achieve what you want. Look at Lana, she made it happen.
Photo credit: WENN