Confessions Of A Quarter-Life Crisis: The Things A Woman Learns By The Time She Turns 25
I recently turned 25 years old, which one might think is no different than any other year. False.
The moment October 13 hit, so did my quarter life crisis. After all, 25 is half of 50 and, honestly, I had to take a moment to reflect on this.
The following list consists of the things I have found to be true at this point in my life:
1. I will never wake up an hour early to enjoy my morning. If I have work at 8am, I get up with just enough time to make it if I hurry.
2. Mexican food and margaritas with friends never gets old.
3. Cat calls are more like compliments.
4. Shots are something you have grown out of.
5. You start to realize that mom might have been right about a few things.
6. If you don't want to do something, simply don't do it.
7. It's okay to buy flowers for yourself.
8. Sometimes an ugly cry is just necessary.
9. Zumba might very well make you feel like you work out and, naturally, are a fabulous dancer.
10. Breakouts still feel like the end of the world.
11. Breakups still feel like the end of the world.
12. Losing weight isn't as easy, and it’s only going to get worse.
13. The bad boy thing is no longer so appealing.
14. You've learned to do things for yourself.
15. Reading is no longer an assignment, now it’s just good for the soul.
16. By 25, you have outgrown half-shirt trends and high-waisted pants, but tights will always be acceptable.
17. Nights of staying up until 2 am to be somewhere at 8 am no longer happen.
18. Even though your phone keeps you in touch via Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, sometimes it’s nice to “forget it at home.”
19. Seeing your family has become less of a weekend thing and more of a once-a-month-if-I-am-lucky thing, but not by choice.
20. You start to learn from mistakes. That's reassuring, right?
21. You've tried and often wear something you'd never normally wear… lipSTICK.
22. If you haven't shaved your legs… SKINNY jeans!
23. Going in stores like Hobby Lobby and Home Depot no longer make you miserable.
24. At this point you know what you believe, and you aren't afraid to say so.
25. The real world is not quite as cool as people made it sound.
26. You have learned that “once a cheater always a cheater” is true.
27. There is nothing cute about stupid.
28. It's okay to stand up for yourself.
29. Sometimes you surprise yourself; you open your mouth and out comes your mother!
30. You've learned to appreciate your best friends.
31. A wild night now is staying up until midnight.
32. You're really starting to figure out the whole “how to manage your money” thing.
33. First dates are about as cool as breaking in new heels.
34. You've learned to love those eyebrows you once got made fun of for.
35. The news gets DVR'ed.
36. You've learned what “less is more” actually means.
37. Even though you are 25, weekend afternoon naps are still acceptable.
38. Your favorite movie changes from “Wedding Crashers” to “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”
39. You have used the phrase, “It's not you, it’s me.”
40. The thought of having babies has become quite appealing.
41. You've learned that your own version of being a 20-something is just right for you.
For more of Sara’s personal writing, check out her blog.
Photo via We Heart It